LONDON BOROUGH OF JAM PRODUCE THE FINEST PRESERVES AND PICKLES IN THE LAND USING HONEST METHODS AND SEASONAL INGREDIENTS, THEIR FOUNDER – FORMER ST JOHN PASTRY CHEF – LILLIE O'BRIEN SHARES WITH US HER RECIPE FOR VERBENA PICKLED BLACKBERRIES
Produced in small batches in Hackney using strictly seasonal ingredients, London Borough of Jam lives by the ethos that honest, natural fruit should stay pretty much just that – with the exception of specialist herbal tinkering.
Their signature creations include Blueberry & Chicory and White Peach & Thyme, which start from £4 a jar and can be picked up in independent produce shops around London. But if you fancy having the mouth-watering aromas of blackberries wafting through your home, then give this simple recipe a bash.
Lillie teaches us how to make her lip-smackingly delicious lemon verbena pickle in just 5 easy steps:
1kg fresh blackberries
350gm caster sugar
1lt cider vinegar
20 fresh lemon verbena leaves
4 500ml glass jam jars
- Using a non-reactive saucepan, mix together the vinegar and sugar.
- Bring this to the boil over a medium heat then reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place Blackberries and verbena leaves in hot sterilised 500ml jars.
- Pour your hot vinegar mixture over the berries and seal.
- Leave to cool and consume after one week. Once open keep refrigerated.
*Recipe makes four 500ml jars